Friday, June 20, 2008

Cruise Part 3 - Days 7 and 8

Day 7 June 19th 2008 Cozumel, Mexico

We woke up around 10AM and watched from our balcony as the ship pulled into Cozumel. The water here is also beautiful, a lot more so then I remember from our last trip to Cozumel. The water is almost as pretty as Cayman Islands, I guess it depends on the time of year you come, our last trip it was really stormy. We went to the buffet breakfast on the ship and it was pretty good. We docked at the cruise ship port that is about 6 miles down from where we took the ferry to Cancun the last time we were in Cozumel. At about 11:00AM, we took our winnings from last night and paid most of our cruise bill off so they would not charge our credit card. After that we disembarked from the ship and took a taxi to the shopping area and spent a few hours walking around the shops. The day was very hot and we both wanted to sit down and have a cold drink. We decided to eat lunch at the Senor Frogs. It’s up some stairs and has open-air seating overlooking the sea and sidewalk below, there was live music and they played all of the 80’s hits we know. We sat down and got two huge foot-log daiquiris and some guacamole and fajitas. We met a really nice girl named Christy that was sitting alone at the table next to us so we asked her to join us. She was on a Carnival cruise and her ship was also docked in Cozumel for the day. She was super nice and we had a good time talking to her. She’s from Charleston, SC and it we chatted for a few hours. They make big balloon animal hats and we got a picture with her wearing hers and we’ll upload it later. We swapped email addresses and said goodbye. We decided to head back to the ship at about 3:30PM. We stopped at the little shops that are located where you walk to board the ship. I was browsing and found a necklace charm that I liked so I asked the store clerk how much it was. He said $45. (A ridiculous price in my opinion, I could buy the same thing in the USA for about $10.) I said, no thanks and we began to walk out. He then asked how much I want to pay for it. I said $20. He then said, “It’s done by weight and the lowest I could possibly go would be $30.” I start walking out again and he then says “I could go $25.” I kept going and he yells “You should bring more money.” I was chapped at him, he should stand by his prices and charge a fair price, I lose respect for people that can’t give you their best price up front. Another store wanted $2000.00 for some small, cheaply made alexandrite earrings, I could get a nicer looking set for $350 in the states. So my opinion when it comes to shopping in Mexico is - don’t do it. Once back on the ship, we sat on the balcony and watched as we pulled away from Mexico. There were clouds everywhere and it looked like a storm was brewing. We went down to the shops and I got a hot chocolate and Karl got a small pack of three types of Polo cologne. We ate in the buffet style Windjammer café again and there was some really good top sirloin with béarnaise. We went to the casino and both spent $100 each and I was almost up at roulette and then they switched dealers and I lost it all, I stood up and told the women she was “ The Cooler” and that she took all my money, I said it in a nice way and had the whole table laughing. We skipped dessert and decided to head back to the room and watch a movie. We watched “Fool’s Gold” with Kate Hudson and Matthew Mcconehey. It was a cute movie.

Day 8 June 20th 2008 At sea headed for Miami

We finally got some sleep. We slept in until 11:00AM this morning and boy, it felt really, really good. My sunburn is killing me and small blisters are forming on my shoulders, after my shower I was in so much pain I couldn’t stop crying, sunburns are so painful and you forget how much they hurt until you feel the painful burning and itching and wearing cloths hurts like a Mother Fu--er. It’s karma for giving Karl crap about not wearing sun block (even though I wore it). We went and ate lunch at the Windjammer again, the food was terrible at lunch so we didn’t eat much. We then went to the room and I took a 2 hour nap while Karl played video games. It was a good nap but the captain and cruise director kept getting on the loud speaker, I’ve come to the point where I yell obscenities every time they come on, it’s really quite annoying and I want them to just shut up, I could care less about the show that’s about to start or the wind speed. After the nap we went down to the bar for a virgin daiquiri, we’re kind of sick of drinking. While our drink was being made Karl went to the bathroom and passed the casino and decided to put in $20 dollars, he came back with $482 (yahoo!). The casino here has been very good to us, it’s basically paid for all our excursions, tips, drinks, gambling and incidentals, we’ve not had to pay a dime with all the money we’ve – I mean Karl’s won. He always has such good luck when I’m not around. We ate dinner at the (you guessed it) The Windjammer, the food tonight was actually good, they even had a crêpe station and I was so excited I could hardly stand it, they were so yummy. I had a greek salad with rice pumpkin soup and seafood tempura, Karl had pork tenderloin with mashed potatoes and a yummy macadamia chocolate brownie. We’re going to pack and get ready to leave tomorrow at 6:30AM or so. We’ve had a blast on this ship, it really has something for everybody to do, I don’t know if we’ll go on another cruise but I’m sure glad we came and had this experience.

No comments: